Saturday, September 25, 2010

"God said it, I Believe it, That Settles It."

"God said it, I Believe it, That Settles It." Maybe.

by HellHoax.com on Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 11:27am
Just a fun thought on this summer weekend:

Those of you in my age group, over 50, will no doubt remember that 1973 Gospel song, "God Said It, I Believe It, That Settles It" - by Stephen R. Adams and Gene Braun. Many of the top Christian artists of the day recorded this song and the phrase was repeated on bumper stickers and tee shirts. "God said it, I believe it, that settles it" became sort of a Christian "slang"; a way of summarizing one’s faith in just nine simple words. You still see and hear it today from time to time.

I'm not sure that Stephen Adam or Gene Braun gave much thought to the "theology" or significance of their clever song phrase (commonly referred to as a "hook" in the world of song writing.) and I'd be fairly certain that if asked, they would probably agree that there is a weakness in such a statement. Many have pointed out that if God said it then it’s TRUE, whether one believes it or not. What settles it IS that God said it, not one’s agreement with God saying it. But, it’s only a song, so let’s not get too worked up about a catchy tune and a memorable set of lyrics that don’t quite capture truth. I’m sure Mr. Adam and Mr. Braun meant that BECAUSE God said it, THEREFORE I believe it, and that settles it in my mind once and for all.

What amazes me however, is that while recognizing the intended meaning of the composers and the inherent silliness of interpreting the phrase to mean it’s NOT only God saying it, but my believing it that is the standard of “settling it”, most Christians in their hearts really DO apply this obviously erroneous logic and approach to their faith.

The arguments we get when we dare proclaim the glorious truth of God’s plan to save ALL and the scorn we receive for even suggesting that the doctrine of Hell is a hoax, prove that such simple “theology” of “God said it….and IF I believe it….THEN that settles it” is the very standard by which most of the Christian world operates. Very few separate themselves from their beliefs long enough to really take a look at what God really did say. And when they are directed to exactly what God said, they don't believe it anyway!

Case in point:

“God our Saviour; Who WILL have ALL men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.” (1Tim. 2:4)

According to orthodoxy, God said it, but since FEW believe it, it’s not true!

Well…..next time you hear someone say “God said it, I believe it, that settles it” or anything like that, put them to the test with 1Timothy 2:4.
· · Share

No comments: